Wednesday, August 27, 2008

To the Desert!

Yo! (just thought I would try a different greeting)
I am now in Cortez, CO ready to start traveling across the hot, stinking desert of Arizona. (well, at least as ready as I'll ever be.) After blogging in Ridgeway yesterday, I made my way down through Telluride and to Mesa Verde National Park. There, I camped for the night. It was pretty crazy, and I guess this is what the weather is like in the desert, but when I showed up, it was about 90-95 degrees, yet as evening came, it kept getting colder and colder and when I woke up this morning, it was again 57 degrees. A little brisk.

Mesa Verde was awesome! I had been there before, about 10 years ago and this time was also special. This park is up on a huge Mesa that stands far above the desert floor and in the canyons, ancient Indians made homes out of the rock on top of the Mesa, but also in the walls. These cliff dwellings are what most people come to see and it is truly spectacular! So, I toured a few of those places and drove through the park enjoying the scenery. But, again, it is time to move on.

Honestly, I don't know where I will end up tonight. I haven't been able to get a hold of the friends I was going to visit and if I don't do that soon, I'm going to cut across country and be at the Grand Canyon, tonight. See, my cell phone died completely, so I can't call, unless I find an outlet somewhere. Unless I find an outlet to call and get a hold of them, I will probably be at the Grand Canyon tonight.

How do I begin to talk about the struggles in my head? When you are traveling alone, there is so much time to think and I come to so many realizations about myself and life in general. I fight with myself and with Satan. Honestly, at the end of yesterday, again, I was ready to turn around and go home. The thread of my adventure string is getting pretty thin and I keep questioning what I am doing. Yet, then I think about the people I have met and about the cool stuff to see and about how this is my last opportunity to do a trip like this. So, I continue to battle, even more than I can write, inside my own head and with Satan. Please pray for this battle. The plan is, since I'm this far, to continue for sure to California to visit friends there and then, we will see.

But, I have written to long... I'm going to try find an outlet.
God bless you all!

Tim

1 comment:

Kim K. said...

Tim,
Hang in there. We are praying for you daily. I've discovered that we sometimes learn lessons better when they come with hardships.
Hope to see you soon.

Kim
(and your other "stinking desert" friends!)