Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 47... so many stories...once again.

Friends, there is just too much to tell about what has happened from the visible poverty in Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas, to crossing the Mississippi River, to battles with Satan and myself to glorious times of worship in a campground all by myself and in a bathroom (I know, sounds really sketchy, but it isn't). But, for sake of space, I must refrain from those stories and tell you a few others.

First off, I finally got the picture links posted...If you scroll down, you will find them.

Second, two days ago was Day 45, which if I do get around in 90 days, this would be halfway. In accordance with that occasion, I have a few stats for you...

45 days
7,550.7 miles
167.129 gallons of gasoline
$32.80 dollars spent per day on average- total- how's that for a cheap trip!
I camped 13 of the 45 days,
I stayed with friends 28 of the 45 days,
I slept in hotels 4 of the 45 days.

Thank you so much for the people who have opened their homes to me! You really have been the reason I am still going and how I have done it so cheap so far!

Now, for one story... yesterday, I drove up to Hot Springs, Arkansas and toured around the town a little bit in the rain. It got to be about 3 or 3:30 and I decided to head over to the campground to get a place and set up before it started raining again. While riding through the campground, a group of motorcycle riders caught my attention. They all rode trikes, a three wheeled motorcycle. After setting up, I went over and introduced myself and asked them a few questions about their cycles. Soon, they had invited me to stay for supper and we were enjoying pork chops, beans and a few beers, just sitting and having a great time.

Now, you have to picture this group... the Harley t-shirts, long flowing hair, some in ponytails, tatoos on the arms, beer and cigarettes being consumed like no tomorrow. They were the stereotypical riders that you see, except maybe not as rough and tough. This group was an extremely friendly group that I had a great time chatting with and being encouraged by. No opportunities to talk about religion arose and it seemed like if I brought it up, they would have shut me up, so I just made little comments about God making certain things and how God has blessed my trip and when I left, I said "God bless you" to them and a few said it back. Actually, it would have been great to spend more time with the group because it is so hard to get to know people in such a short amount of time. Am I being effective in what I set out to do? What does being effective mean? I journaled about these questions for quite some time the other night and who knows? Maybe in God's eyes, effectiveness is just being Christ to some people. Yet, that is not a copout, or at least, it shouldn't be. We are all called to witness, both in the way we live and with out words and actions. So, what is effectiveness? That question is my big struggle on this trip.

Tim

3 comments:

Justin said...

maybe our aim shouldn't be "effective." maybe just faithful.

Justin said...

Hi Tim,

This is the other Justin chiming in. And I say Amen to what Justin #1 said. I think that efficiency and effectiveness are things of our American culture and not necessarily the things of the Kingdom of God. Perhaps effectiveness in the Kingdom of God looks like faithfulness, and really in the end faithfulness is all we can hope for, effectiveness is up to God...

Timothy said...

Amen Justins :)