Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Day 40, The beach, NASA and ... a window in my brain.



Greetings All!
Well, much has happened again, since I last updated. I made it to Florida. Actually, right now, I just got back from sitting on the beach and swimming all day in Stuart, FL. I am slightly burned but very relaxed and salty. :) It was a great time though!

Yesterday, I went to Kennedy Space Center and toured around there all day which was awesome! For those of you who don't know, I have an absolute love for the space program and would have loved to get there and fly. Being at the space center brought back all those loves and visions and made me want to go and watch "Apollo 13." Honestly, I am still trying to reflect on what I saw and took pictures of, so I really don't have a lot to say about it, except that it was completely awesome seeing where the original rockets launched from and the bunkers that they did it out of, and then we saw the launch pads of Apollo and the Space Shuttle. To top it all off, I saw a Saturn V rocket up close and personal... it was a great day!

Actually, I have been reflecting a lot on something that I witnessed the other day on the beach in South Carolina. I was building a sand castle with some wonderful young children and soon, the tide was beginning to come in, so we had to build the walls higher and thicker to hold back the tide. They were calling mom and dad and grandma and grandpa and we were piling sand on this thing. Yet, as with all adults, we all knew the tide would win the war, but those kids believed in their hearts that if they kept piling sand and kept working, they could hold back the tide. I took a moment and thought about it. Isn't this what Jesus talked about when he said to have faith like a child?

As a children, we believed anything was possible. Our dad was the strongest fastest person in the world and could beat up any one else's dad. People should be able to fly; the stuffed animals had voices and feelings; I could win the world series any time I wanted, or make that game winning free throw... then something happened and we grow up and the word, "impossible", is brought to our vocabulary. Didn't Jesus do the impossible? Didn't his followers heal diseases and cast out demons and the Holy Spirit convert 3,000 people in one day? How many of us would call those things impossible? It seems that as we get older, we lose the ability to dream big. We lose the ability to envision something glorious and we lose the ability to dream, or even ask for, the "impossible" from God. Our brains very quickly see limits and very quickly only strive for those limits. But, what about God's limits? What?

I guess my big struggle is, what does it look like for me, a 23 year old, sinful, male to have faith like a child? How do I live my Christian life not knowing the word "impossible?" What do I do while following a God that isn't bound by anything? Maybe, all I can do is keep piling sand on the walls, knowing full well that my Father is the biggest and strongest and can hold back the tide, no matter how high. Just maybe.

Just some thoughts,

Tim

No comments: