Friday, August 15, 2008

Four strikes? Well, I guess you're out...


Hello my friends!
Frustration has set in slightly. Not because of riding, because that went very well today, but because of rejection. Today was a day where I didn't have to cover very many miles, so I planned on finding a hospital or rest home and playing some games with people. Well, as it turns out, I found 4 different hospitals and all of them were a "no go." The first hospital, none of the people who could help me were there, but they gave me the name of another hospital. So, I went there and they said that they couldn't let someone just roam the halls. It wasn't allowed. Moving further down the road, I came across another hospital, and this one doesn't really count as a rejection, because when I told them what I was up to, they said things like "you just made my day!" and "That is so awesome!" Never the less, they pointed me to a different place because they thought I could do better there. Moving to the fourth place of the day, I decided that this would be my last attempt because it was starting to get late. I strolled through the doors and asked the same question I had been asking all day only to be answered with "No, I'm sorry, but we need a background check and several references before allowing anyone back there."

Now, I can understand their reasons for not allowing me back there because you don't want any wacko walking through the hospital, but even so, I was slightly frustrated. What if Jesus walked through the door and they were like, "sorry Jesus, we need some background forms and a few references before we can let you back there to care for your people." It is really sad that we live in a world where someone who feels pushed by God to share his love with people can't do it because of some rules. It is really sad that we can't trust each other even in hospitals. It's bad enough at historical sights and monuments, but come on... hospitals? Maybe I should have flashed my Bible and said, "Here's my reference," just to see the look on their faces. Who knows, maybe I'll just "Jason Bourne" it next time and walk in, get on an elevator and find a room, somewhere.

Other than that whole fiasco, the day went really well. I am back in the Central Time zone which I was really excited for. The road led me right next to the Gulf of Mexico most of the way. It wound around corners and through the trees on the beach, tickling white sand shores and giving sights to the many colored, highrise resorts. It really was a beautiful drive! And today was what I actually envisioned Florida to be... sunshine, 85 degrees, a slight breeze blowing of the water and through the palm trees as families enjoy the white sand beaches and warm water of the Gulf. It was gorgeous.

From this point, I am not sure where I will head. I might start making my way North and I might keep following the Gulf for a while. Who knows? But, I wll keep you informed.

Please pray that God continues to challenge me through this leg of the journey. I think I will have plenty of opportunities to visit hospitals (if I can get in) or rest homes or even find people elsewhere. Please pray that God opens my eyes to the ones around me who need his love and that I do this completely for his glory and not for my own selfish reasons.

Thanks and God bless you all!
By the way, I just went over the 7,000 mile mark. crazy!

Tim

No comments: