Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Last Day of July... a catch-up post.


Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
It has been a long time since I have posted, so I am sorry for that. Actually, it is tough for me to remember what I last wrote about. I believe, I was in Philadelphia, after getting held up by the rain. Well, since then, much travelling and sightseeing has happened.
I don't even know where to start because I have seen so many things. I eventually did go downtown Philadelphia, as you can see in my pictures and I got to experience some of the history of out country. Being in Liberty Hall really creates a feeling of respect for the men that started this country. According to the world's standards, we are still young as a nation, but even so, to stand in a 200 whatever year old building, in the room where our nation began, was very humbling. After touring some more things in Philadelphia, I rode out towards Gettysburg and I want to write a little bit about that ride.
As I was riding out, I was kind of complaining. Now, obviously, I'm complaining in my head, because there is no human being on the cycle to complain to. On that ride, I believe I was complaining about the traffic and how this trip isn't going as I planned and how the timing keeps getting thrown off by different things and other such complaints as that. Well, about that time, God smacked me with a revelation. He showed me how much complaining I was doing and how I fell I need to be in control of everything. I thought about it and realized it to be true. I don't really trust in God's time. I trust in my time and I want things to happen my way and in my time and I realized how selfish I was. God nailed me in between the eyes and there was nothing I could do but reflect on it, pray about it, try to make a conscious effort to change and then sit back and worship God, the one who points out our faults, in one way or another. Since then, I still struggle with handing things over to God, and I will continue to do so because people don't change that fast, but at least I am aware of it. So, that was one good, challenging ride.
Anyway, a little continuation. I got out to Gettysburg, but it was late in the evening, so I found a campsite and hung out there, relaxing around the fire. The next day, I got up early and headed for Gettysburg. Again, another historic place where many, many Americans lost their lives. Truly, it was one of the darkest moments of our country. Six thousand acres of battlefield; of brother killing brother and cousin killing cousin. There are no words to describe.
From Gettysburg, I headed south crossing through Maryland, West Virginia, into Virginia and to Shenandoah National Park. It was early afternoon and very warm, but soon, I was driving the skyline drive and it was cool in the forest. Man, what a view! It was rather hazy, but still. I could only ride about 30 miles or so of the skyline drive because I needed to get to Washington D.C. that night, so, after a brief break from the cities, I headed back.
All this happened on Tuesday. So, on Tuesday night, I arrived in Washington. Since then, I have been touring the city. Tuesday night, I got to see the Capital, Washington Memorial, World War II Memorial, Korean War Memorial and the FDR Memorial all lit up in the night. They are beautiful! I believe I posted a few pictures. Wednesday, I was at the National Air and Space Museum most of the day, then went to the National Archives and saw the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constituation along with the Magna Carta. Today, I went back into the city and toured the Holocost Museum and walked through all the war memorials in the daylight and also visited the Lincoln Memorial, White House, Arrlington Cemetary and the Pentagon. So, it was a lot of walking, but I made it and am back to relax a little.
Tomorrow, I hit the road again and make for Norfolk, VA. Hopefully, that post isn't too long for you and hopefully it got you caught back up. I have a few more things to write, but I will leave it at that.
Thank you so much for all your prayers and God bless you all!
Tim

No comments: