Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 20- an update, since I have time

Hello Friends,
Here is an updated map of where I am. I have covered the black line from Edgerton, MN all the way around to the white arrow. I know, it is a very high tech. map. :)

Well, today, the rain stopped me. It was pouring this morning and, actually, places in this section of the country had the possibility of getting 3 inches of rain! Crazy! So, I'm taking the day off. Tomorrow, the plan is to head down to New Jersey, just west of New York City.

Yesterday, I drove down to Boston and toured there for quite a while. It was really cool to be in one of the oldest parts of the country. While I was there, I saw things like Paul Revere's house, the Old State House, the church where Paul Revere hung the two lanterns to warn of the British movements, the U.S.S. Constitution and Bunker Hill. I attempted to get to Fenway Park for a tour before it closed, but got lost, so sorry guys (you know who you are), no pictures. I did see it fly by on the highway though.

Another thing that made me happy was hearing the thick, Boston accent. I smiled the when I talked with people in the city and actually, on the highway. Strangly enough, while I was driving in the city, I had several people asking questions about the motorcycle and my trip and all that jazz. It was actually kind of fun, because at one point, we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, so there was nothing else to do. When it was time to leave, I got on the cycle and tried to find my way through traffic, but was stuck in traffic for over an hour. Once we did get moving, the rain rolled in, so I got wet... again. Man, the joys...
No, really, it was a very good day of sight seeing and talking with a couple people on the street. I found it interesting how easy it is to pick out us tourists, so throughout the day, I found a couple of people who were by themselves, like me, and just talked with them. One was on the street in Downtown Boston and the other was climbing the tower at Bunker Hill. Ya know, just being human to someone and talking with them, like we all need.

The trip has been going better, especially since I have been staying with people that I know lately. On top of that, your notes and emails of encouragement also meant a lot. Thank you! But, on top of everything, God has been letting me know in little ways that he was here. I had several good devotions times where I felt very encouraged. There has been something else that God has used though, which is kind of strange and that is road signs. I see a lot of them in a day, and some of them strike me and make me think. Well, in the days when I was ready to turn around and things weren't going well, I reads signs such as "God is in Control." and "Turn your eyes upon Jesus." and one that I am still thinking about said, "Trust says Jesus can... Faith says Jesus will." So, some of those have been very encouraging. I've come to realize that maybe this trip isn't about feeling a leading in every decision, but it is about making decisions the way I would make them on a normal vacation, but be very open to the people around me and the looks in their eyes and just try to be Jesus to every person that I meet. That is when God will open doors. That's where I'm at and I pray that it stops raining...eventually... maybe. Faith says Jesus will, right? :)

Anyway, this is way too long so I am sorry...but just a few thoughts as to what I'm doing and feeling.
Thanks again to you all and God bless you!

Tim

2 comments:

Mike Lenhard said...

Tim, how is your bike running now? Still having problems with the charging system? Hope all is well now and that it stops raining for you.
Mike & Jackie

Brent said...

Tim! Happy Birthday yesterday!