Friday, September 26, 2008

The furthest point...

As I write to you now, I am taking a break in Rifle, Colorado. This marks the second time I have been in Colorado on this trip and I am very excited because this time means I am heading home.

The past couple days have been interesting. Yesterday, I left my campsite on the shores of the great salt lake and headed for Salt Lake City. Upon arrival, I found my way to the Mormon Temple Square and took a tour of their facilities. It was interesting to see their tabernacle, visitor's center and where they worship. The grounds were also very beautiful being covered with flowers and fountains. Mixed in were also statues of Joseph Smith. I was kind of disappointed because I thought there would be more talk on the beliefs of Mormons, but it was more of showing off the buildings. Although, there were plenty of "missionaries" to talk with. The whole time I was there, I couldn't think of a good question to ask them about their beliefs, which is kind of my curse, but once I started heading down the highway, then I thought of questions. One of my tour guides asked if I wanted a book of Mormon and I thought about it and said, "sure," thinking it would be interesting to read and then she wanted to know where I lived so they could send over some elders with the book to talk with me. "Well, maybe I get one later." It could be interesting, though, in the future to host a couple Mormon elders. Leaving there and after my conversation with the man the other night left me wanting to learn more about Christianity and its history and then also to learn about these other religions.

I made my way through the mountains to the southwestern part of Utah and down to Arches National Park. That is a beautiful part of the country! It resembled what you see in westerns and, I am told, many were filmed in the area. So, I toured Arches this morning and now am making my way across Colorado. Tomorrow, I hope to be in Denver and will be there with friends for several days. That will be a welcomed break because I have now slept in a new place every night for a little over 2 weeks. A break will be nice.

My estimate of 15,000 miles has been shot because I passed that point today. So, who knows what the total will end up being. Any guesses?

Well, I better hit the road again. There are a few more miles to cover before I stop for the not. Hopefully, it doesn't rain because my plastic bags, housing my sleeping bag, tent and sleeping pad have huge holes in them from the stinking ravens. Not so waterproof.
Anyway, God bless you all and have a great weekend!

Tim