Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 74... A hike, Rhythm and a few thoughts


Brothers and Sisters in Christ!
I update you now from Everett, WA where I am staying with some awesome people! Above, is an updated map of my journey and where I have been. Sorry about the sloppy-ness. I am tired and didn't want to spend so much time doing it. Maybe, a new map will be found: one that is better.

Well, I did make it to Mt. St. Helens yesterday, which was kind of strange to behold. Basically, it looked like a mountain...that had the top blown off. I tried to imagine what it looked like, but no pictures came to mind besides the ones I had seen on the History Channel.

From Mt. St. Helens, I made my way to Mt. Rainer. Again, an awesome sight to behold! Up to this point, I had seen that mountain on my flight simulator and on postcards, but never up close. It is pretty sweet...and the weather was clear as well, which, I am told, is quite rare. So, the campsite was chosen and I settled in for the night.

This morning, I wanted to do some hiking, so after seeing some waterfalls, I drove closer to the mountain. From there, I hiked for several miles and had some awesome views of the mountain. Part of me, wanted to continue on and conquer the mountain, which I would guess is a human characteristic, but I knew that I didn't have the time or the gear and so after a great hike, I turned around and headed down.

On the way down, my keys were jangling in my pocket with every step and soon, I started snapping my fingers with the rhythm and to this beat, "Jesus Loves Me" was hummed/whistled/sang (not all at the same time). It was so random, but made the hike down so much better.

Thinking about that, going down, really, that is all that matters. I remember talking in Theology classes and Shim making some comment about it... Jesus Loves Me. There it is... that is the entire point of Christianity. We can fight and bicker and hit people over the head with the plank sticking out of our own eyes, but we sure don't remember the point, Jesus Loves Me. Why are we so quick to forget that point when others do things that annoy us or do things to hurt us? When all the dust from Synod settles and the desks get put back in order after a heated debate in theology class, maybe we should all hold hands and sing...

Jesus loves me this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to him belong.
They are weak but He is strong!

Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so!

No comments: