Sunday, September 28, 2008

A big day

Greetings all!
Maybe I should give a prize to the person who guesses closest for the mileage I have when I get back home. I might do that... stay posted. (I see there is already one guess).

Today was quite a day. I woke up to frost once again and as I sat crunching on my Cocoa Roos and watching the sunrise over the mountains and seeing the trees ablaze with fall colors, my mind wandered and I began to reflect on God's promises of causing the seasons to come and go. It truly is a miracle, in this world of decay and pain that the sun never fails to rise and the trees never fail to change colors and spring never fails to sprout new life. Just a few thoughts.

Once my Cocoa Roos were down and the tent packed up, I drove over the pass and to the base of Grays Peak in Colorado. This was a mountain a group of us attempted to summit 2 years ago, but were turned back by a snowstorm. No sooner had I begun, then two men said I will never make it to the top because of snow and ice. Well, I decided to get as high as I could, enjoy the view and head down. I ascended higher and higher and met a few more people who had turned around, but once I got up to the mountain, I saw many people up there in the snow and again, I decided to see how high I could get. When all was said and done, I arrived at the summit in my nearly smooth sneakers, the same ones that carried me to the belly of the Grand Canyon and up to Mt. Rainier, and the view was awesome! Miles and miles of God's good creation were laid before my feet with rain and snow showers mixed in the scenery.

The night before, I had read Psalm 8 and sitting there, the words of vs. 3-4 stood out. Again, I read those verses and looked at that view and felt completely miniscule. But, then, I read vs. 5-8 and felt a great importance. As I sat, with Bible in hand, and reflected on that, a man noticed the Bible and asked me what scripture stood out in that place. So, I told him what I was thinking and he agreed wholeheartedly. It was a short but very sweet encounter atop my first ever 14ner.

I have many more thoughts and reflections, but I am tired. Now, I am in Denver area with some awesome people. This will be the first time I have stayed in one place two nights in a row since I was in Modesto, CA: over 2 weeks ago. So, it is a welcomed stop.

There is no good way to end this, so may God continue to bless you all as I have seen him do!

Tim

2 comments:

Micah said...

It sounds really amazing Time.
I sort of wish that I could be there with you and not here in the Cairo heat and smog. :)
I miss you buddy,
Micah

Unknown said...

Hey Tim,
My guess is 16,187 miles.
Do everything in your power to hit it exactly.