Monday, September 8, 2008

Day 66...Big Trees, Waterfalls and the road goes on...


Greetings All!
After a great week with friends, I am now on the road again. From Friday until Sunday, I spent my time in Visalia, CA with some friends in which we hung out and talked, saw a couple movies, went to church, enjoyed good company and saw some amazing trees and an awesome sunset. Hopefully, pictures will follow soon!

Yesterday, I drove up into the mountains to Sequoia National Park and saw some huge trees. Actually, the largest tree in the world was on the agenda. This tree was not the tallest or the widest, but it had the largest volume of wood of any tree in the world. The General Sherman stood 283 feet tall and was 103 feet in circumference at the base. Absolutely huge!

The roads were a blast to drive on as they wound their way through awesome forests and up and down the mountains. Great fun was had while cutting right and left. After going through Sequoia, I went into King's Canyon National Park. Now this canyon was much bigger and more beautiful than I thought it was going to be. The road wound its way down several thousand feet to the river at the bottom and past several waterfalls. After setting up my tent, I enjoyed supper on the rivers edge. Running water is still one of the most relaxing sounds in the world. I also hiked to a waterfall that turned out to be in one of the most beautiful places I had ever been. At the end of the path, it opened up to the falls which cascaded out of a gap in the rock into a clear, brilliant blue pool. Surrounding this pool were smooth rocks shaped like a bowl. From the pool, the water cascaded down through the rocks and into the river. I climbed up to a shelf and sat, watching the waterfall and the waves slowly spread across the pool. Then, looking to the right, I could see the canyon walls, steep cliffs rising up, stained red by the setting sun. In this place, I could be at peace. Songs of praise slowly rose in my throat...

God of wonders beyond our galaxy,
You are Holy! Holy!
The universe declares your majesty!
You are Holy! Holy!

Lord of all creation
of water earth and sky.
The heavens are your Tabernacle
Glory to the Lord on high!

Right now, I am in Oakhurst, CA preparing to go into Yosemite National Park. There, I will camp for a few days and then head west to the coast. Yay for the Pacific Ocean!

This week, an idea was presented to my mind. Sitting in chapel at Providence Christian College in Ontario, CA, a group was doing a presentation on their trip to the Dominican Republic. During that trip, they estimated how many hours they were up during the day and then tithed their time to spend with God. I thought that was a good idea, so I am giving it a try. Throughout the day, I had a set amount of time I have commited to prayer, Bible reading, worship and talking with people about Christ. I'm giving it a try to see how it goes and what happens. We shall see.

But, once again, there are too many things to write about and I have already gone too long, but hopefully you enjoy reading some.
God bless you all!

Tim

No comments: