Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 70... (untitled)

Greetings All!
The last few days have been very interesting. I made my way out of the central valley towards San Francisco and after crossing the Bay Bridge and navigating downtown San Francisco, I made my way to the Golden Gate Bridge where I was able to stop and take a few pictures from several different locations. It was slightly foggy and the top of the bridge was in the clouds, so it was kind of cool. While I was there, I kept thinking about Full House and also the movie, "The Rock" when I looked across at Alcatraz Island.

From the bridge, I followed highway 1 up the California coast. Actually, I was not impressed at first because it was really bumpy, but it got better and the scenery was awesome!

Last night, I found a campground and ended up picking a campsite next to some guys. I stopped and talked with them for a little while and then went to find try get a phone call out. Upon returning, I built a fire, but was soon convicted to go and talk with those guys. So, I went back over there and we talked about many different things for a quite a while. I had set a goal of asking someone what they thought about religion before the week was up, so I was trying to think about how to do it with these two men. Well, then they asked what I majored in, in college. Bingo. I said, "Theology," and after that, we talked for quite a while about the church and the problems with it and about different religions. It was a great conversation! The one guy was Baptist, then had left for a while and lately he has been exploring all kinds of faiths, but still leans towards Christianity. It was a great night of sitting around the fire, having a beer, and talking theology. I thank God for that time!

Right now, I am in Eureka, CA and making my way towards Redwood National Park. Today has been an interesting day of driving. When I left, it was about 57 degrees, so I had several layers and big thick gloves on. Then, the road bent away from the coast and it warmed up to about 80 to 85, so I was stripping layers off quickly. As I drove, the road started working its way back to the coast, so again, the temperature dropped and I was forced to stop along side the road and cover up. What a crazy day!

Actually friends, today I am the most depressed I have been in a long time and I am not exactly sure why. Whether there is something oppressive about the areas I have been going through or what, I don't know. But, while riding today, I definitely considered turning east and heading home. I'm not sure if I have had a day like this on the entire trip, where I am just down and want to go home. Prayers about that would be great. Honestly, I am having a hard time describing to you how I feel and "depressed" is the closest I can come. Who knows?

Well, if I hold to the plan, I should be in Redwood National Park today and go to Crater Lake, OR tomorrow and then keep heading for Washington. Please continue to pray for safety (and no rain!).

Thank you so much for your prayers in this journey!

Tim

2 comments:

Kim K. said...

Tim,
You and the red motorcycle are in our prayers daily.

Tim said...

Tim--
We said a prayer for you in church this evening. We're praying that the Lord will give you his encouragement and strength. Thanks for your account of your journey!

Pastor Tim