Friday, October 24, 2008

A welcomed encounter

I am now the happiest I have been in a while. I don't mean that I have been sad or depressed or anything, but that "higher" happiness after a great conversation.

Tonight, I went to the apartements in town and visited an elderly woman that I have known since high school. It was something I meant to do all week, but didn't for various, not so good, reasons. It's amazing how Satan can distract my mind even though I know exactly what God wants me to do.

Anyway, it was an encounter where we talked about family, prosperity, problems, God's leading, creation and a host of other topics. Sitting there, I wondered about her past and what she was like when she was my age. I also wondered, when I am in my upper 70s to 80, if I would have a friend who was in his 20s that would come and talk with me. It is interesting to think about how God has used me to touch her and also her to touch me and we are 50 to 60 years different in age.

So often, we think of God's "mission" work to be spreading the gospel off in a corner of the world with people who aren't as "fortunate" as we are. There are people who are called to that, but for the majority of the Christian population, is it only writing checks and attending church services? I could not have felt more in the will of God than I was tonight.

Who knows? Someone, who won't be born for another 30-40 years, may be used by God to come and visit with me and we can mutually encourage each other. Who knows? Well, only one does...

No comments: