Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Porches


Tonight was a beautiful night. It was about 25 degrees and no wind. Now, that is an extremely uncommon thing in Minnesota and I thought I would take advantage and go for a walk. At college, I went for a lot of walks, praying and thinking, but for whatever reason, I don't do that here.

Anyway, as I was walking, many thoughts and many prayers passed through my lips and I started looking at houses. Almost all the houses were dark except for a glow from the t.v. No lights on outside and not many on inside. I also looked at how houses were made. In about a mile and half of walking, there were two houses with front porches on them.

You say, "So what?" and I would too, except for that fact that I have talked about this with a few people. It used to be that people had front porches and would sit out in the evening, greeting people as they walked past. Now, I know, this isn't logical in winter, but bear with me. There was a sense of community. Guitars being played, conversations had and people laughing with each other.

Now, front porches have retreated to back patios, inviting lights have morphed to dull, dark windows. Only a slight glow from the t.v. shines through. Why? Because it's easy. It is easy to sit down in the recliner, push the power button and not have to worry about entertaining people.

Is t.v. in it of itself, bad? No. Can T.V. and movies be social times? Absolutely. But, honestly, why do most people sit in front of the tv on a week night?

Just a few thoughts and some things I am asking myself.

1 comment:

Justin said...

I must say that I agree.... If I stop by sometime, we'll sit out on your porch, even if it's the middle of winter ;)