Sunday, January 25, 2009

Communion

Today we partook of communion in our church. When I was younger, I always thought of communion as a solemn act of reflection about the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. It seemed dark and gloomy; not many people smiled or even looked up from the bread and "wine" (grape juice). The focus seemed to be on the first "Lord's Supper" on the night of Jesus betrayal and death. That night was very solemn and dark. It does need to be reflected on because we need to remember what agony Jesus went through for us on that night, but I don't think we can stay there.

A couple years ago, I read a book by Henri Nouwen, which the title escapes me at this point. I think it was, "Can you drink the cup I drink?" Anyway, at one point in the book, he talks about the cup, symbolizing Jesus' blood, as the cup of victory. Ater that night, Jesus blood was shed for the salvation of all of creation and it is a solemn, sobering act. Yet, look to his last breath. It is one of victory, "It is finished!" In this act, Jesus had won the war with Satan. In a few days, he would conquer death as the last enemy. The victory of Christ was so complete that it's sound has repercussions that blast through all time and all space: a shock wave the covers all of creation, now and forevermore, in a chance of sanctification. THAT Victory is what we celebrate at the Lord's Supper.

Today, as the Pastor said the words, "Take. Drink. Remember and believe that the precious blood of Christ was shed for the complete forgiveness of all our sins," I did as Nouwen suggested and lifted my glass a little higher in a toast and said, "Here is to Christ, the victorious Lamb, bottom's up!" A toast of humiliation, of confession, of forgiveness and of victory!

Some day, I picture the great banquet. When all the followers of Jesus Christ are gathered in the city of God at a great banquet. Food will line the tables and bread and wine will be present. The Lamb that was Slain will walk in and every voice will shout with a roar and every glass will be held at arms length, high, "to the Lamb that was Slain! Victory!"

Victory.

5 comments:

Justin said...

You're starting to sound like C.S. Lewis ;)

Micah said...

Tetelestia!

Justin and Tim, you both are my skundalusses. :)

Timothy said...

what are these words you speak of my friend?

Micah said...

Tetelestai means "it is finished." And skundalus means... "stumbling block." :)

Timothy said...

Thanks man! At least I have a purpose in life. :)