Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Flight, Military

F-22 Raptor


P-51 Mustang

F-15 and F-18

P-38 Lightening and F-22
The Blue Angels


This past weekend, my parents and I went to an Air Show which contained various stunt planes, a sailplane, an F-22 Raptor and the Navy Blue Angels. Being a lover of aviation, I was enthralled! It was an awesome show that made me want to fly even more.

Much of the show was very pro-America, which there is nothing wrong with because I believe every country should have national pride. National pride is a great thing and can bring about some awesome people and great events. Look at what the Olympics does.

On the flip side, the national pride being pushed that day was all military might, which I have a huge problem with. The F-22 and the Blue Angels were awesome to see and I would absolutely love to fly them, but they are machines built for a single purpose: to win wars by killing people, or in other terms, “destroy a target.” That is the single reason I am not at the Navy now, trying to be a Naval Aviator, because no matter what the purpose, to win World War II or to defend ones country, killing is killing and as a Christ-follower, I can’t and won’t do it.

Throughout the afternoon, the announcer kept making the comment, “These machines are what keep our freedom alive and what makes peace around the world.”

Gag me.

When did a machine built for destruction ever make true peace? Not just a “you are stronger than we are so we surrender” type of peace, which really isn’t peace at all if you really think about it. Having a total and complete military advantage over someone doesn’t bring peace. It may stop the bullets from flying for a short while but that’s about it. What it does bring is a cease-fire because they know they can’t compete and that breads hate and resentment.

The Jesus I know didn’t come into the world, strong and powerful as the world sees power. He did not amass the largest army in the world so that he could overthrow Caesar and then the entire globe. He didn’t ride around on his horse and chariot yelling war cries of peace and prosperity through military might. Jesus knew exactly what true peace is. True peace is a place where bombs aren’t stockpiled everywhere. True peace is a place where people are filled up and not cut to the heart by words of others. It is a place where we build each other up and carry each other’s burdens. It is a place where guns aren’t needed. It is a place where kings kneel and wash the toilets of their subjects and where CEO’s work longer hours to give their secretaries an extra day off and where senators paint the fences of those they represent and where... we are all servants of each other and submissive to each other, even to death.

“If we want to be great in God’s kingdom, let us be the servants of all! If we want to be great in God’s kingdom, let us be the servants of all!”

That is why I love Christianity and why it is the only way: it is a way of life that goes against almost everything inside me, but in living that life, the more fulfilled and more edified I am. By denying myself, I meet Christ and in so doing, I live a happier, more fulfilling life.

To come full circle, I still love flying and would absolutely love to fly the F-22 Raptor or the F-18 Hornet or the F-14 Tomcat, but I think I will wait until the New Creation when Jesus is offering rides and where fireworks are shot from under the wings and where bombs are filled with flower petals. Oh, what a glorious day that will be! True peace, not a lie of what peace is.

No comments: